RSS

Monthly Archives: January 2018

Platform and begining the Ratio single loco shed

I’ve done a little more work over the weekend with the platforms sprayed including a white edging strip. I’m not 100% sure about the colour and the amount of white edging so am going to live with it a bit and see how I feel about it before giving it a coat of matt varnish. The colour is not quite so grey/blue in real life and consists of light grey, earth brown and white.

20180119_143530

20180119_143452

I then marked out the base for the loco shed and used some Daler board to raise the level to match that of the cork underlay before glueing the base sections down.

20180119_143544

I then started assembling the good shed walls, roof and ventilated to roof as three separate sub assemblies. These were then given a light coating of Vallejo primer.

20180119_142702

Here are the sub assemblies temporarily dry assembled together in situ. Next job will be to get them painted.

20180122_105222

Advertisements
 
Leave a comment

Posted by on January 23, 2018 in Dartley Coombe, DCC Layout

 

Introducing Dartley Coombe

Over the Christmas period, I reached a point on the round the room layout where I realised I wasn’t sure about the next section of track plan and felt I would benefit from concentrating on something else for a bit to keep my mojo. My wife wants us to do a small exhibition layout and I wanted to try code 55 so I decided to use some Christmas money to buy some. I’d already been playing around for a while with a variation on the BRM layout Edgeworth as a countryside GWR branch terminus, had some 9mm ply 10cm strips and 5.5mm 4×2 sheets in the workshop and a long weekend over New Years so decided to knock a board up and have a play.

Things moved quite quickly and before I knew it the main scenic board (48 inches by 16 inches) was built, cork cut and glued down, track laid out, connected and tacked down with Copydex, droppers soldered, frogs wired etc. Platforms are Metcalfe kits which are being topped with 20thou plasticard and the road bed is made from Daler board again topped with plasticard. All droppers on this board connect to a lenght of code 80 and it is DCC. Point motors are still to be added and I plan on trying out the Gaugemaster DCC80 frog juicers.

There will be another board to the left with a hidden fiddle yard with a single track leading to this board. The top platform face has a run around loop and spur to a single engine shed while the lower bay platform will be for push/pull units. There is also a goods loop at the bottom which utilises the bay as a headshunt. All infrastructure will be Ratio kits and some scratchbuilding; station building, signal box, goods shed, engine shed, water tower, coal merchants, staithes etc. I have use some temporary structures to help gauge the positioning. Coming away from the station, the terrain will rise up so the line is running through a valley. For this I will be using foam board layers. As we both like the idea of model villages, we might add a small extension board to the right of the station for the station masters house,  part of a village etc.

And before I leave you with some pictures, I must say I make absolutely no apology for the twee name of the layout, Dartley Coombe.

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on January 16, 2018 in Dartley Coombe, DCC Layout

 
 
John's Modelling

Workbench Builds in Progress and Finished Portfolio

Holiday Cottages Brittany - Ty Hir - Blog

Locos, layout, rolling stock, scenery and general modelling

Starlingford Chronicles

Be Good. Be Right. Be Considered. Be Articulate.