Today, I’ve been alternating between building the Ratio GWR signal box and starting some terraforming.
The signal box is a nice kit but painting it is time consuming. I used Tamiya tape cut into thin strips to mask the frames before painting them. A cocktail stick came in handy for burnishing down the edges of the tape to miminise paint bleed underneath. On the whole, it’s come out well with only a little touching up required in a couple of places.
Alternating with this masking and painting, I made a start on the coombe side at the back of the board. First I drafted out the profile of the slope before cutting it out of Foamboard. Hobbycraft have a deal on, 4 A1 sheets for £10. I used Roket card glue. Sets quickly and give a strong bond to the Foamboard.
I then mixed up some Moulding Powder modelling plaster with a dollop of burnt umber artists acryllic. After the initial coating, I left it a couple of hours before applying a second coating where needed. This stuff goes off really quickly, in less than 10 minutes.
I need to tidy it up a bit but otherwise I’m very pleased with the result. In retrospect, I’d use more paint in the mix as it’s a bit on the light side but nothing a quick going over with some more paint in the morning can’t fix.