First off, the A4 ‘Bittern’ I mentioned in my last update sadly had to be sent back, but in its place is now a Peco Collett which is much more in line with my region.
Anyway, onto Podbury. The platform walls for the siding were trimmed to length and mitred before being given a coat of mortar wash before being dry brushed with a combination of concrete, flint grey, sleeper grime and GWR stock cream. An usual mix but they seem to work well together. A rail built bufferstop was painted and fixed in situ before the siding was ballasted. I’ve still to weather the track but am going to wait getting the airbrush out until the rest of the loop is ballasted and then do everything together.
Siding Walls and Bufferstop in place
For some reason I have a mental block against scratch building station buildings. Luckily, I had an old Ratio station building kit I picked up secondhand from a bargain bin. I’ve used the same colours and technique as the platform walls but it’s not quite right yet and needs playing around with a bit more before I’ll be happy with it.
Station building started
Before doing any more work on top of the layout, I really needed to finish underneath the baseboard, i.e. the electrics. I had already wired up a test rig of all the components to work out how to do it and make sure it would all work OK, so all I had to do was to replicate this. As a simple loop with just one siding, this turned out to be quite straightforward, even for an electrics simpleton like me. The set up consists of the 16V AC accessory feed from the controller, a Peco PL10E point with twin micro-switches fitted, one operating a Berko platform starter signal and the second one currently spare, all operated by a Peco PL26 passing contact lever. The signal is run off the DC feed from a Gaugemaster WM1 power supply. With just the one point, I didn’t bother with a CDU. I used mono phone jacks and sockets to facilitate the quick and easy removal of the controller.
Under board wiring
Controller and point lever
I gave the signal a simple black and white paint job which makes it looks bit more prototypical in my opinion. On the left you can see what will eventually be the cattle dock base cut to shape along with the trackside embankment which has had a trim and a covering of mod roc and some paint.
Siding with signal
Next was to start on all that bare Celotex type landscape. It was carved to approximate shape and then giving a coating of mod roc….
Terraforming the landscape
…before being given a blast over with a colour approximating green grass so I could see if it was roughly going to plan.
Test coloured landscape
It needs a bit more work and the left hand end of the board I have left for now until I can settle on how I’m going to tackle the road bridge.
So to finish off this post, I’ll leave you with a couple of shots of my Class 42 Warship ‘Dragon’ waiting for green at the station.
Dragon awaits the green
And off we go