RSS

Tag Archives: foam board

Trackwork down -Station area begins

Armed with another roll of Gaugemaster’s ballasted underlay and a Dremmel, I managed to finish laying the last of the track section for this board – the sidings. I need to have a few more running sessions in here before I can say I am satisfied with the layout and finish. There are still a couple of areas where the running is not quite good enough but this will come with fettling and time. Here is a shot with the existing station,  platform and loco shed temporarily placed to give an overview of the layout.

Track work in place and buildings temporarily located.

Track work in place and buildings temporarily located.

So now to move onto some structures in and around the station. First on the list were the platforms. For some strange reason, I decided not to build them solely from the Metcalfe stone platform kits. As the picture below shows, I have use foamboard glued down with Rocket glue to build the base form & structure. This is a quick method and once completed is extremely rigid. The elevation of the rail due to the added depth of the underlay, meant I needed to aim for 14mm platform height.

Foamboard platform formers glued into place.

Foamboard platform formers glued into place.

The track and ballast was given a quick blast over with the airbrush using Railmatch’s Sleeper Grime. (I need to add some further loose ballast and weathering here).

The trackside platform faces are from a sheet of 2mm/4mm stone embossed plastic sheet painted with a mix of approximately 60% Flint and 40% light stone acrylics. This was then given a wash and some dry brushing before being cut into 14mm stripes and glued to the foamboard structure.

Platform faces clad in stone embossed plastic sheet.

Platform faces clad in stone embossed plastic sheet.

For the platform tops, I looked at various methods but finally settled for using the asphalt sheets in the Metcalfe platform kits. They look reasonable and after a bit more weathering should look ok (if you squint a bit). The station building I’m using here is one I’d built for my previous layout attempt. Its the Metcalfe country station which I modified by covering in their dressed stone paper.

Platforms with station temporarily located.

Platforms with station temporarily located.

Next, I turned my attention to the station building. The platform side was fitted with some spare flagstones and the bargeboards and canopy posts were painted GW cream. I was debating what finish to use for the front of the station and have now settled on paving the area. It’s raised up to the same height as the platform and therefore needs some steps down to road level. These had been planned in when I built the foamcard platform structure. Once I have decided on the fencing, walling and gate arrangement for this area, I can proceed.

The furthest end from the platform throat is going to butt up against the tunnel mouth leading under the town so the Peco bridge mouth was next to recieve the hairy brush treatment. I used a mixture of greys and stone colours, washes and dry brushing to get a mixed, grimyish feel. A touch of weathering should see this finished off nicely. Heres a before and after type shot.

Before and after shot of the unpainted and painted bridge mouth.

Before and after shot of the unpainted and painted bridge mouth.

Next I feel some kit building coming on but I’ll finsh up this post with a pic of SR 2579 pulling a rake of Western coaches.

SR 2579 pulling a short rake of Western coaches

SR 2579 pulling a short rake of Western coaches

See you next time.

 
1 Comment

Posted by on January 15, 2013 in DCC Layout

 

Tags: , , ,

 
John's Modelling

Workbench Builds in Progress and Finished Portfolio

Holiday Cottages Brittany - Ty Hir - Blog

Locos, layout, rolling stock, scenery and general modelling

Starlingford Chronicles

Be Good. Be Right. Be Considered. Be Articulate.