RSS

Tag Archives: Gaugemaster

Terraforming and Electrics

First off, the A4 ‘Bittern’ I mentioned in my last update sadly had to be sent back, but in its place is now a Peco Collett which is much more in line with my region.

Anyway, onto Podbury. The platform walls for the siding were trimmed to length and mitred before being given a coat of mortar wash before being dry brushed with a combination of concrete, flint grey, sleeper grime and GWR stock cream. An usual mix but they seem to work well together. A rail built bufferstop was painted and fixed in situ before the siding was ballasted. I’ve still to weather the track but am going to wait getting the airbrush out until the rest of the loop is ballasted and then do everything together.

Siding Walls and Bufferstop in place

Siding Walls and Bufferstop in place

For some reason I have a mental block against scratch building station buildings. Luckily, I had an old Ratio station building kit I picked up secondhand from a bargain bin. I’ve used the same colours and technique as the platform walls but it’s not quite right yet and needs playing around with a bit more before I’ll be happy with it.

Station building started

Station building started

Before doing any more work on top of the layout, I really needed to finish underneath the baseboard, i.e. the electrics. I had already wired up a test rig of all the components to work out how to do it and make sure it would all work OK, so all I had to do was to replicate this. As a simple loop with just one siding, this turned out to be quite straightforward, even for an electrics simpleton like me. The set up consists of the 16V AC accessory feed from the controller, a Peco PL10E point with twin micro-switches fitted, one operating a Berko platform starter signal and the second one currently spare, all operated by a Peco PL26 passing contact lever. The signal is run off the DC feed from a Gaugemaster WM1 power supply. With just the one point, I didn’t bother with a CDU. I used mono phone jacks and sockets to facilitate the quick and easy removal of the controller.

Under board wiring

Under board wiring

Controller and point lever

Controller and point lever

I gave the signal a simple black and white paint job which makes it looks bit more prototypical in my opinion. On the left you can see what will eventually be the cattle dock base cut to shape along with the trackside embankment which has had a trim and a covering of mod roc and some paint.

Siding with signal

Siding with signal

Next was to start on all that bare Celotex type landscape. It was carved to approximate shape and then giving a coating of mod roc….

Terraforming the landscape

Terraforming the landscape

…before being given a blast over with a colour approximating green grass so I could see if it was roughly going to plan.

Test coloured landscape

Test coloured landscape

It needs a bit more work and the left hand end of the board I have left for now until I can settle on how I’m going to tackle the road bridge.

So to finish off this post, I’ll leave you with a couple of shots of my Class 42 Warship ‘Dragon’ waiting for green at the station.

Dragon awaits the green

Dragon awaits the green

And off we go

And off we go

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on January 23, 2015 in Podbury small DC layout

 

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

I’m Back

Hello All – I’m back.  :D

Sorry for not posting anything for 6 months+. A lot has happened this year but I’m glad to say that the layout is now part of that.

Back in January we decided to put our house on the market. This meant that the layout and all associated paraphernalia was relegated to the shed as part of a major redecorating and de-cluttering exercise. But it was worth it as we sold our place really quickly and by the end of March we had relocated to East Devon. The next month or two was spent getting settled in, buying furniture and enjoying fishing on the beach.

Apart from the slower pace of life here, there is another advantage – being slap bang between Pecorama and Buffers (where I am something of a regular now). I think there is a saying that a railway modeller and his/her money are soon parted and this is true for me as I have now gone to the dark side in purchasing a Gaugemaster DCC01 setup. It was very easy to set up, just put power to all track sections. I only had one DCC loco though, the Peco Collet so I went out and purchased a SR Q1 and GW Hall. I also had 3 of my smaller locos chipped. They all run fantastically. My 86 year old father was so impressed, he bought a DCC unit when he came to stay with us.

The layout has had made progress but its a case of two steps forward and one back as I keep redoing areas that I am not happy with. I’ve built up the upper ‘town’ section and the three roads down from it, built the tunnels and completed some other terraforming jobs. I’m currently laying the roads using a quick setting plaster which is great to use. I’ve also been test wiring up point motors and signals to a dedicated PSU and CDU but am not yet completely confident enough to hard wire them into the board yet.

I’ll take some pictures and post up again, hopefully later on today or tomorrow. I also need to get busy with the camera as I have a load of N gauge locos to sell. Busy, busy.

 
Leave a comment

Posted by on September 26, 2013 in DCC Layout

 

Tags: , , , ,

 
John's Modelling

Workbench Builds in Progress and Finished Portfolio

Holiday Cottages Brittany - Ty Hir - Blog

Locos, layout, rolling stock, scenery and general modelling

Starlingford Chronicles

Be Good. Be Right. Be Considered. Be Articulate.